The Piping and Drumming Qualifications Board (PDQB) is the certificating body for The Army School of Bagpipe Music and Highland Drumming, The College of Piping, The National Piping Centre, The Piobaireachd Society and The Royal Scottish Pipe Band Association.
The PDQB comprises two nominated representatives of each of the 5 partner organisations and its objectives are to:
- set standards for a unified qualifications structure for playing, teaching, examining and adjudicating the Great Highland Bagpipe, Pipe Band Drumming, Pipe Bands and Drum Majors;
- jointly design, develop, quality assure, assess and certificate qualifications in the unified structure;
- approve centres for awarding qualifications in the unified structure;
- liaise with the Scottish Qualifications Authority regarding national accreditation of these qualifications and alignment to the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF); and
- approve instructors and examiners nationally and internationally.
PDQB qualifications are the outcome of a project initiated in November 2004 by the RSPBA and the member organisations of the Institute of Piping (Army School of Bagpipe Music and Highland Drumming, College of Piping, National Piping Centre and Piobaireachd Society), to create a single structure of certificated qualifications in Piping, Pipe Band Drumming and Pipe Band Studies based on common standards of design, teaching, assessment and certification. The new structure, which has been introduced progressively since 1 January 2007, was achieved by integrating, and further developing, the qualifications formerly offered by the RSPBA and the Institute of Piping.
PDQB qualifications in Piping and Pipe Band Drumming as now available nationally and internationally through 4 PDQB Examinations Centres. Qualifications in Pipe Band Studies are currently in development and should be available by late 2008/early 2009. Arrangements are also ongoing to have the PDQB qualifications nationally accredited by the Scottish Qualifications Authority and linked to the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF).